I’ll admit, this is my FAVORITE time of the year! Especially living here in the Ozarks–it’s absolutely gorgeous here. The cool weather, the colors and the GAZILLION trees in our region are stunning and of course, it’s that time of year that can hide a few extra pieces of pie. (wink, wink)
Do you know that it’s also another season? Or really, the pre-season (for most). No, not football. Not Christmas. It’s pre GLITTER Season. Yeah, I coined that phrase. It’s about 2B full on glitter. Everywhere.
Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty. It hits the light just right and looks magical. But when it hits my face making me look like I’m still hanging onto Halloween or trying to umm, look like I belong in a different profession, it’s just not pretty then. I’m not even kidding. I helped a client get her Christmas décor out this week and when I left, it looked like I rolled in glitter. And guess what, had to go to Target after that. Boy did I get some looks.
I’d love to know when y’all get your Christmas décor out. Are you already in full on glitterati or do you wait until after Thanksgiving?
I typically get mine out on Black Friday because you wouldn’t catch this girl anywhere NEAR the crazy shopping frenzy on that day. For many many years, I spent Black Friday decorating for Christmas at my Grandmother’s house. Her name was Rosie. I’d spend the ENTIRE day dragging out all her treasures, climbing up the ladder a million times to turn the little drummer boy just a “hair to the right” and painstakingly place her beautiful Christmas china out for us all to enjoy for the rest of the year. Makes my heart sing to think of those very special times with a very special person who shaped my life in so many ways.
You know, I learned a LOT about organizing from Miss Rosie as well. She was always pretty organized although, she probably had a little TOO much stuff (she loved a good antiquing trip). But I’d help her go through it, even as a young girl. So I’d like to share a few tips to help you start navigating GLITTER Season. It’s the season for being thankful, festive and of course, organized!
2B Organized During GLITTER Season
- It does NOT have to look like Christmas threw up at your house. Simple is beautiful! And you certainly don’t have to decorate every nook and cranny. Pick your most lived in rooms and stick with that. Wouldn’t you rather ENJOY the season than have to mange all that STUFF?
- Containers are your friends. But don’t get those gigantic ones, they get too heavy & cumbersome to carry. Matching containers aren’t necessary but they sure do look nice!
- Don’t feel bad about sending some décor… out the door! Donate what you don’t use so that someone else can enjoy it.
- I typically like to pack up each room separately and label it that way. So next year when you get everything out, you can take each tub to it’s specific room.
- If you LOVE how you’ve decorated this year and want to capture it again next year, take a quick pic!